Navigate your code with tooling that understands it
Code navigation enables developers to explore code by
- jumping to definitions
- finding references
- listing implementations
- browsing symbols defined in current document or folder
- navigate dependencies
- documentation in hover tooltips
Code navigation is made up of multiple features that build on top of each other:
- Search-based code navigation works out of the box with all of the most popular programming languages, powered by Sourcegraph’s code search and extensions.
- Precise code navigation uses code graph data to provide correct code navigation features and accurate cross-repository navigation.
- Auto-indexing uses Sourcegraph executors to create indexes for the code in your Sourcegraph instance, giving you up-to-date cross-repository code navigation.
- Dependency navigation allows you to navigate and search through the dependencies of your code, by leveraging precise code navigation and auto-indexing.
Code navigation for your code
Here’s how you go from search-based code navigation to automatically-updating, precise code navigation across multiple repositories and dependencies:
Included in a standard Sourcegraph installation and works out of the box on the instances connected to the Internet. To see how to enable code navigation on the air-gapped instances please check this guide.
Start using precise code navigation by creating an index of a repository and uploading it to your Sourcegraph instance:
Optional: automate the uploading of indexes by adding indexing and uploading to your CI setup.
Get automatic precise code navigation by enabling auto-indexing which makes Sourcegraph automatically index the your repositories and enable precise code navigation for them.
Setup auto-dependency indexing to navigate and search through the dependencies used by your code:
Once setup, code navigation is available for use across popular development tools:
- In the Sourcegraph web UI
- When browsing code on your code host, via integrations
- While looking at diffs in your code review tool, via integrations
- In the Sourcegraph API
- Introduction to code navigation
- Precise code navigation
- Search-based code navigation
- Code navigation features
- Beta Rockskip: faster search-based code navigation
- Writing an indexer
- Beta Auto-indexing
- Beta Auto-indexing inference
Automate uploading LSIF data