4. Sunset Datadog integration
RFC 575 led to implement a Datadog POC, in an effort to decrease the proliferation of and unify the observability tooling used for operating Sourcegraph instances within Sourcegraph.
Reasons to not got further with the POC:
- We have been underutilizing the platform quite heavily
- The DevOps team no longer exists so we would need to find a new owner for this service soon.
- Unfavourable consensus around its usability.
- datadog’s log search/viewer is really clunky and just doesn’t do the job well for me
- you can’t see fields alongside a log message, and the UI being a complete disaster
- Moving toward MI as our main priority.
GCP Logs were envisioned but there was a strong push back, as its usuabilty was judged quite bad by teammates who worked with it.
Sunset Datatog and drop all related code.
- DevX team is responsible of sunsetting it with Dax’s guidance.